Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

On 02/08/2016 11:36 PM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> Are you serious about using JSON on disk level?

yes.

Actually using text format for metadata works pretty
well even for on-disk metadata (it was one of good ideas
in lvm2, just there it was non-standard text format).

I want to use something easily readable by common
simple library (libjson-c is the only dependence we use).
JSON is very simple format for representation of data we need
(with exception of storing uint64 and small binary data
that need some easy common tricks).

The reason for this universal format is that you can manipulate
with unknown objects (keyslot metadata for slot you do not understand
in core code).
(Note it is used only for metadata not the raw key material
for luks1 keyslot.)

We can probably easily use binary representation of JSON
(like ubjson) or one of the many such formats but in principle
it is the same.

m.