Re: Automatically mount LUKS LVM on boot?

Hi

Not sure what I've done can help you, but let me tell you.

I'm using LUKS on some logical volumes of a LVM. That is, I do not
encrypt my whole LVM, but only parts of it. For several reasons out of
scope of your concern, I boot my PC only using a removable USB key. I
let my hard disk MBR as provided by the manufacturer.

I encrypted both my root and my home, each with its own LUKS key. I
agree I did it more for the sake of getting experience then for a real
need of data protection. Taking advantage of the need of a removable
device to boot, I decided to store my LUKS keys on it. I included the
two following lines in my /etc/crypttab :

victor-root UUID=78576555-f0c2-4c80-af4f-d763cc7ae71d
/dev/disk/by-uuid/4146dfad-26f0-4aec-99c3-8ab00c3e4297:/.victor-root:1
luks,keyscript=/lib/cryptsetup/scripts/passdev
victor-home UUID=37447a61-f946-4d38-a398-5a886c4e3f22
/dev/disk/by-uuid/4146dfad-26f0-4aec-99c3-8ab00c3e4297:/.victor-home:1
luks,keyscript=/lib/cryptsetup/scripts/passdev

The two keys are 512-byte random binary files stored at the root of the
partition, named ".victor-root" and ".victor-home".

As a USB key is rather fragile (loss, getting out of use), I stored my
LUKS keys on several USB keys. I gave the same uuid to the partitions
holding my LUKS files, so as the preceding lines would work for any one
of my USB keys.

My /etc/fstab files holds the following lines

/dev/mapper/victor-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/mapper/victor-home /home ext4 defaults 0 2

I suppressed the need of a password at login.

After boot, I disconnect my USB key.

Arbiel