Re: question regarding Sha1 and 512 bit key xts mode

Maybe I got a misconception here.

But if I remember correctly:

In case of auth, a collision might get you authed, in LUKS a collission
gets you past the candidate check, but a mere collision without hitting
the correct key, results in gibberish during decryption.

If I am wrong, please correct me here...

I was not really discussing the "excact" procedure of hashing in
cryptsetup here, but maybe I slipped on something?

Regards

-Sven

P.S.: It's been a while since I read the source of cryptsetup ;-).