Re: Proposal for support of PKCS#11 devices (SmartCards and Tokens)

Hi Bill,

the main question is why you would want to do this.

PKCS11 is public-key crypto. That only makes sense to use
if you have two parties, a sender (that does not get the
secret key) and a receiver (that does get the secret key).
The whole point of pubic-key crypto is that the sender
only needs authentic information that is not secret to
send information securely to the receiver.

In disk-encryption you only have one party, and hence
using public key crypto does not make any sense at all.

If you want to ship a LUKS container, just use PGP to
get the passphrasae to the receiver or encrypt a
disk-image with PGP in the first place instead of with
LUKS.

Remember that the foundation of all dependable engineering
is KISS and that applies to secure coding in spades.
Do not add functionality, unless there is a very compelling
reason to do so.

Gr"usse,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx