Re: inner workings of block mode encryption

On Sun, Feb 08, 2015 at 17:31:49 CET, U.Mutlu wrote:
> Ralf Ramsauer wrote, On 02/08/2015 03:22 PM:
[...]
> Hmm. IMO this is the major weak point of such static/symmetric crypto
> solutions.  Knowing just one cleartext file, for example a well known
> static system file from the /etc directory, and its encrpted data, could
> easily lead to the master key (assuming the encrypted volume contains such
> system files).

With modern block-ciphers there is no "easily" here. In fact there
is "infeasible" here as you basically always can get some ciphertext/
plaintext pairs also in communication encryption and it does not
even need to be a "chosen plaintext" attack. Ciphers vulnerable to
that are worthless.

Really, you need to read up on what modern ciphers do. You also
need to read up on the terminology. Getting the meaning of
"symmetric" and "asymmetric" wrong is a pretty bad mistake.
Not that I accuse you of anything, it is just that communication
gets hard if one side does not understand the basics.

> OTOH, a streaming crypto solution (I think also called 'asymmetric'),
> ie. where each block gets encrypted with a new key derived from
> the previous/initial key together with xoring with varying parts
> of the user data in the block, would IMO make up a much more secure
> crypto solution.

That is infeasible for block-layer encryption and very expensive for
file-level encryption. Hence nobody does it on system layer. You may
be thinkling of things like CBC-mode communication encryption. Block-
device storage is not a communication device, it works differently.
For character-device storage where you do never seek you could do
this, but you donot get a file-system on these, just a raw
bit-stream.

> >Just imagine: if you'd like to access the last sector of your volume
> >you'd have to generate the whole key stream which would probably take a
> >long time.
>
> Yes, true, but I think this problem could be somehow solved.

You think wrong. This problem has been studied for at least
two decades and nobody found a solution for it. In fact, it
can very likely be formally proven that this problem cannot
be solved and keep the security guarantees intact.

Gr"usse,
Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx