Impossible task ?

I have conflicting needs and fear that they may be unresolvable.
I. I need to store patient names (3 fields: last, first, middle initial) with the first and last names encrypted.
2. I need to be able to do partial name lookups if the user enters a partial first or last name.

I presume that after encryption the names are no longer in alphabetical order, so looking up using an encrypted partial name will not result in a set of names beginning with that partial name.

Is there an approach to this, or need I go back to my boss and suggest "plan B."
--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com