Re: LUKS keyslot 4 is invalid

Then do it manually.

1. Look up the header size. It should be either 1'052'672 Bytes or 2MiB.
   What you need is the key-size.
      cryptsetup luksDump <device>
   gives
      MK bits:        256
   for 1'052'672 Bytes or the same with 512 for 2MiB.
   If that does nto work, and you do not know the size of your mater
   key, dump 2MiB. Note: Do not change the filesystem if you
   want to restor a header that may be too large! With that,
   resyoting up to 1MiB of the filesystem is still safe.

2. Copy it manually. There are a nu,ber of options to do this, I
   prefer
      head -c 1052672 <device>  >  header_backup.dmp
   or
      head -c 2M <device>  >  header_backup.dmp
   for a 2MiB header.
   Verify the size of the file to be sure.

Keep that file safe, and you can try

   cryptsetup repair <device>

next.

I also just added this procedure to FAQ Item 6.2.

Gr"usse,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----