Re: keys from RAM dumps, hibernation files

Hi,

LuksClose _should_ wipe all remains of the key from memory.

It's possible to dump the memory without "logging in", e.g. via PCMCIA
and Express Card slots, or by quick-freezing the DIMMs and plugging them
into a different machine.

If you suspend-to-disk, the key will obviously be written to disk;
depending on your disk type it will be hard to safely wipe it again, ever.

If you suspend-to-RAM, the key will obviously stay in RAM and be suspect
to the above attack.

There is a kernel module called
[TRESOR](https://www.usenix.org/event/sec11/tech/full_papers/Muller.pdf)
that allows storing the Key in the CPU's debugging registers instead of
the memory; this should greatly add to the security of the system; An
attacker would require root permissions on your system.

A much easier solution is to use LuksSuspend, which will wipe the key
from RAM and make the partition/filesystem in question block until
LuksResume is called and given the new password. I'm using a script that
automatically calls LuksSuspend on my /home partition before calling the
screen locker, and calls LuksResume on PAM authentication (my LUKS
password equals my login password).

Lastly, there's of course always the (very small) possibility of a
backdoor in LUKS and/or dmcrypt; e.g. LUKS could write the key to some
point of the LUKS header, dmcrypt could store the key somewhere in
memory, or LuksSuspend/LuksClose could simply not fulfill its guarantee
to wipe the key from memory.

 ~ Michael