Re: LUKS disk encryption with remote boot authentication

Hi Cpp,

I do not think that is conceptually possible. Sure, you could,
for ecample, do a password-less ssh to that server to
get the passphrase and pipe that directly to cryptsetup. But
that is not more secre than storing the pasphrase on the device
itself in plain, unless you can remove the passphrase on the
remote server in case of issues.

Basically, you would do something like this in the initrd:

  ssh remote_server "cat keyfile_mine" | cryptsetup <device> -d -

Of course, the ssh root-user key would need to be present
in the initrd for this to work and remote_server would
need to allow password-less logins for that key. You also
have to have the host key of remote_server in the local
known_hosts file on the initrd for this to be secure.

You should also know that LUKS does not do pre-boot. What
can be done is boot the OS in a minimal configuration from an
initrd, map the encrypted container, and then replace the
root filesystem with that one from disk. But LUKS container
mapping always happens and must happen _after_ the kernel
has finished comming up and some minimal OS has been booted.

Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----