piping password to cryptsetup

i have been to so many forums to find a solution to this. all the variations are confusing me and none are working.
i am trying to pipe a passphrase to cryptsetup using yad.

 pass1=`yad --form --title="Enter container passphrase" --height=50 --width=350 --field=Password:H`

then i strip out the pipe character present between yad variables

pass="${pass1//|}"

at this point the variable pass appears to be exactly what i want.

later on i invoke cryptsetup with the passphrase variable piped to it.

echo "$pass" | cryptsetup --cipher aes-xts-plain --key-size 512 --hash sha512 --iter-time 5000 --use-random luksFormat "$container" -

after a moment, i see the device pop into the selection in my file manager then it dissapears.

the funny thing is, i wrote a terminal only version using the same methods minus the yad things and it works fine(see attached)

terminal version requires 3 confirmations YES, passphrase, passphrase. do i need to reproduce these confirmations even with a minus sign at the end of the cryptsetup line?

if so, would echo "YES"$'\n'"$pass"$'\n'"$pass"'\n' do this?

also, if i replace the echo "$pass" pipe with xterm -e cryptsetup.... it works fine. basically, i am not getting the password format piped correctly. ive seen 7 different variations on this pipe and nothing is working. its probably something with spaces but i am resorting to email to lower my bloodpressure. also avoiding forums to lower my heart rate :)

thanks to anyone reading this.
Erik