Re: Can't access a LUKS encrypted partition

Most likely scenario: Something else changed in the password-input
chain. Do you have any non-ISO-7bit chars in your passphrase? These
will change their binary value when going to Unicode. You
mau also have characters switched because of a keyboard-layout
issue.

The FAQ has more info in item 1.2

Also note that asking a question on a mailing-list without
subscribing is a sure way to miss answers and generally
not a good idea. What you do is to subscribe, ask, and
when things are cleared up, unsubscribe.

Arno

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 03:58:36 CEST, jeff.esquivel@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to access an encrypted partition on an external USB hard drive
> (WD My Passport Slim) but I get this:
>
> $ sudo cryptsetup -v luksOpen /dev/sdb1 securepart
> Enter passphrase for /dev/sdb1:
> No key available with this passphrase.
>
> Some background information on the issue:
>
> DAY 1
>
> I received this new external hard drive some days ago, the first thing I
> did was run badblocks on it (while at the same time writing it with random
> data), like this (on that day I had other USB disk plugged in before, which
> is why I'm was working with sdc instead of sdb as stated above):
>
> $ sudo /sbin/badblocks -c 10240 -s -w -t random -v /dev/sdc
>
> Then I created a new DOS partition table (using fdisk) and then a new
> primary partition that spanned the whole disk, and after that I created a
> new LUKS volumen on the new partition as this:
>
> $ sudo cryptsetup --verify-passphrase luksFormat /dev/sdc1 -c aes -s 256 -h
> sha256
> $ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc1 secure
> $ sudo mkfs -t ext4 -m 0 /dev/mapper/secure
> $ sudo cryptsetup luksClose secure
>
> I then disconnected and reconnected the disk to see if Ubuntu (I'm using
> 14.04 on 64 bits) would recognize it. It did and asked me for the
> passphrase on a window, I entered it and worked correctly, I then proceeded
> to copy some unimportant big files (more than 50GB) from the other USB disk
> I had plugged in. Another detail which may be important, I had the LUKS
> disk connected through a USB  hub (which also has an ethernet card on the
> same physical device).
>
> DAY 2
>
> I connected both disks again, when Ubuntu asked me for the LUKS passphrase
> I entered it and it worked as expected, I proceeded to copy some more
> unimportant files from the other USB disk to the LUKS partition (about
> 150GB at least). I disconnected and reconnected the disk at least twice
> this day and everything worked OK.
>
> DAY 3
>
> Same as day before, the encrypted partition unlocked without a problem, I
> proceeded to copy all of my important files from the other USB disk to the
> encrypted partition (about 200GB), this day I used the USB hub/ethernet
> card again to connect the external hard drive that had the LUKS partition
> (I mention this because I also have a wireless mouse that works with an USB
> receiver that was plugged to the same USB hub and noticed some laggyness
> when using this mouse, I thought it was related to the amount of bandwidth
> being used by the drive while copying all of my files).
>

> DAY 4
>
> I plugged the external hard drive, Ubuntu asks me for my passphrase and it
> won't work, at first I thought it was a typo or something and tried again,
> but failed again, I then typed the passphrase on a text editor and then
> cut+paste it into the windows that was asking me for it and it didn't work
> [...]

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----
A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato