Re: Cryptsetup-reencrypt failing with error with option --new reduce-device-size

On 06/20/2014 02:36 PM, Abhrajyoti Kirtania wrote:
HI,
I able to build the crypt setup-reencrypt binary and trying to enable
encryption on a particular partition with this tool, build failing with
error like:

*Cannot wipe header on device /dev/loop0. if i pass
*--reduce-device-size as 1024. But if i pass this size as 4096 then
getting the error as "Device /dev/loop0 is too small."

Not sure what might be the root cause of this error. Truly appreciate
your kind support?

cryptsetup-reencrypt /dev/sda8 --new --reduce-device-size 1024 --debug

WARNING: this is experimental code, it can completely break your data.

# cryptsetup 1.6.4 processing "./abhra_new/sbin/cryptsetup-reencrypt
/dev/sda8 --new --reduce-device-size 1024 --debug"

Hi Abhrajyoti,

you have to create enough space to fit new LUKS header during reencryption of not yet encrypted device. The LUKS header is approximately 1MiB in size (it differs and depends also on other parameters). The default unit for --reduce-device-size is a byte. Try to use --reduce-device-size 2048S (where 'S' stands for sectors). If I recall correctly --reduce-device-size must be aligned to 512B (dm-crypt sector size) or maybe even to page size (4 KiB).

Be extremely careful with the --new option! You have to create unused space at the end of the original device which is equal in size to --reduce-device-size option. By term unused I mean there are no real filesystem data or any data important to you. Otherwise you will you loose this data. The best to achieve this would be to actually extend the partion or LV at its end exactly by intended --redude-device-size parameter first.

Kind regards
Ondrej