Re: Is erasing hard disk drive mandatory?

If you do this right (zero wipe within the opened encrypted
container, as described in FAQ Item 2.19), then you can decrypt
this data to zeros.

Unfortunately, given the frequency that people ask about "hidden
encrypted voluems" here and are completely unaware of the danger
they put themselves in, I thinks educating people about this risk
is a lost cause.

Arno

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 21:03:08 CEST, Laurence Darby wrote:

> You're all missing a very important point.  Have a read of
> http://embeddedsw.net/doc/physical_coercion.txt (a reference on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deniable_encryption) and think about if
> you want some random data at the end of your drive that you can't
> decrypt.
>
> --
> Laurence
>

> Thomas Bastiani wrote:

> > > As far as I know, mkfs discards blocks while creating the filesystem.
> > > So your device should be "overwritten" at that stage of the process?
> > >

> > Oh cool. I had no idea. So then it would make the whole dd operation
> > useless if you pass --allow-discards to cryptsetup.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----
A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato