trouble with dm-crypt and NFS: server hangs

I am testing dm-crypt with a system that serves data over NFS. I'm finding that when serving the data over NFS4 it will go for a little while and then it will just stop copying and networking on the NFS server will stall out so that other connections to other parts of the storage (a non-dm-crypt volume) will become very laggy. Soon after canceling the copy the other connections resume back to normal.

I have tried this on two different servers, one with a single disk with ZFS and another with a ZFS raidz2 pool and they both do the same thing. CPU doesn't seem to be an issue. Doing local copies is not a problem. That is, copying to/from these volumes made up of dm-crypted disks from other disks on the server have no problems.

One system (the one with the RAID pool) is CentOS 6.4 and the other one is CentOS 6.5.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this before and if so, what can be done to make it work? I'm going to test to see if taking ZFS out of the equation helps. I haven't run into this with ZFS with disks without dm-crypt.

Thanks,

Steve

 Steve Cousins             Supercomputer Engineer/Administrator
 Advanced Computing Group            University of Maine System
 244 Neville Hall (UMS Data Center)              (207) 561-3574
 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu