Re: SHAx and LUKS/cryptsetup

On 9.3.2014 18:42, Heinz Diehl wrote:
Hi,

while experimenting with LUKS/dmcrypt, I prepared a partition
using "-h ripemd160 -c aes-xts-plain64". LuksDump shows:

Version:       	    1
Cipher name:   	    aes
Cipher mode:   	    xts-plain64
Hash spec:     	    ripemd160

However, lsmod shows that both sha1_generic and sha1_ssse3 modules are
loaded. So I did a reboot without touching the encrypted device, and
there was no SHAx module loaded. After accessing the encrypted drive
it was, hence this is clearly the cause that these modules get loaded.

My question: why are there any SHA1 modules loaded when then encrypted
drive is NOT using it?

Probably some dependence inside kernel, cryptsetup should not cause
for LUKS header processing, not from kernel).

Probably trace which exact command caused it, maybe there is some sha
checksum somewhere triggering it. Isn't it filesystem on top loading it?

How exactly do you activate device and "touch" it?

Milan

p.s.
If you are using kernel backend (not gcrypt one), sha1 is used as test
that interface works. It was the simple way at that time. So in this case
it is cryptsetup causing it ;-) Maybe it could by changed now by some more
clever test.