Re: cryptsetup without sudo

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Henry Jenkins <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there some method using Ubuntu to set up a luks drive without root/sudo access from the cli?

Currently I can use either `sudo cryptsetup luksOpen <drive> <name>` then udisks or I can use gnome-disks to which does not requite sudo. So I'm assuming there is a existing application that does not require using sudo or the use of a GUI.

Motive - mounting a usb key without requiring elevated privs.

Thanks,

Henry Jenkins

Your statements are a bit ambiguous to me.

you want to unlock a LUKS volumes without using sudo or manually elevate privileges.This part is clear,the part that is not is if you want this functionality from CLI or from GUI.

If you want to unlock the volume on the CLI without manually elevating,just call udisks CLI from the terminal with the LUKS device and udisks will unlock it for you and mount it.

If you want to unlock the volume from the GUI without manually elevating,you can use gnome-disks directly to access the device and gnome-disks will unlock it for you and mount it.

If you want to unlock the volume from another GUI,your file manager should also be able to unlock it,just look for the device entry somewhere on the device panel on the file manager,click the drive and the file manager will unlock it for you and mount it.

udisks and a few of its GUI front ends should allow you to do what you want without you manually elevating privileges.