Re: nuke password to delete luks header

Am 2014-01-27 21:30, schrieb Milan Broz:
On 01/27/2014 10:04 AM, Jonas Meurer wrote:
For 2, (aka self destroy passphrase) - I tried to read the discussion
again
and I am really not convinced yet we want it.

Do you intend to protect the erase feature by asking for a password? In
that
case it will be hard to build a nuke wrapper around 'cryptsetup erase'.
Especially if the nuke password should not reveal access to encrypted
data
and merely allow to erase LUKS header.

No, only usual YES/no question should (will) be there
(which can be switched off with batch -q option as in other commands).

The luksKillSlot is doing exactly the same, just for one keyslot.

Actually, it is just simple code as
  for all active keyslots:
     crypt_destroy_slot()

Great, sounds good to me.

BTW original patch is INCOMPLETE and DANGEROUS.

(For example, did anyone think about cryptsetup-reencrypt? Guess what
will
happen if user try to *reencrypt* device with this destroy passphrase? Try it... or better not ;-) And there are more missing code which just
do not convince me that it was properly thought-out work.

Isn't that a good argument for implementing it properly upstream? ;)

I think this argument was mentioned by me :) But I think we have found better
way how to implement it without this feature.
Avoiding upstream to become bloatware is also important ;-)

You're correct.

I still would prefer the nuke feature being implemented upstream. One argument in the discussion was, that the mere existance of this feature could bring you in trouble. I would reverse the argument: given that the nuke feature destroys evidence of its existance in the luks header, a custom wrapper implementations in your initramfs make things worse. It is much more suspicious than as standard upstream feature that is available on every installation.

But for sure I see that the decision is not easy, and arguments against implementing it do exist. If it's your decision to not implement nuke feature upstream, then that's the way it is. You're the upstream author after all ;)

While I see your argument, reencryption takes a lot more time than using
a nuke feature. Both features serve completely different purposes.

Sure, it was just a complain about features importance...

I see. By the way I used reencryption feature several times, and it works like a charm for me.

And if you merely want to destroy access to the data, overwriting it is
still
better than reencrypting, isn't it?

Yes, and removing key with "erase" command should do the same quickly as well.

Except that this doesn't protect against header backups, just like you mentioned before.

Kind regards,
 jonas