Re: nuke password to delete luks header

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 21:27:07 CET, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 01/14/2014 05:30 AM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> > I think that in your scenario, "nuke" does not have any real
> > advantages over just not having the passphrase, and that one
> > is dangerous.
>
> Well, this idea is not new and I responded very similar months ago.
> http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=110#c1
>
> But seems there is a lot of people in disagreement.
>
> I was quite surprised that most of people from
> our university security&crypto lab I met today and asked
> (to have some other opinions) said that despite "nuke password"
> has very limited use it is worth to have something like that...
>
> Sigh... :)

Indeed.

> But what I really want to avoid is that every distribution will
> add some random patches implementing something like this.

That would be even worse, agreed.

> It is perhaps better to implement and document this upstream.
>
> Anyway, you have to manually create such key.
> And cryptsetup never blocked you from shooting yourself in
> the foot if you really want.

Well, yes. So lets just keep clear warnings in place (the FAQ
already has one, just need to modify it a bit.)
Then we can at least say "we told you so"...

> >From the pure technical POV (ignoring the use case discussion)
> https://raw.github.com/offensive-security/cryptsetup-nuke-keys/master/cryptsetup_1.6.1+nuke_keys.diff
>
> The principle is ok (it should be implemented on libcryptsetup
> level, so it works from every GUI extension etc).
>
> But I do not like the details:
>
> - we do not need additional luksAddNuke command, switch like
> "--use-slot-destruction-key" option to luksAddKey is enough

I agree.

> - I do not like that special key is all zeroes.
> (This is sometimes used for testing etc).
>
> IMHO "nuke key" should be linked to exact header key
> (if you copy this keyslot area to another LUKS header it
> should not work there).
> To be extra paranoid, I think nuke key should be randomized.
>
> This can be done e.g. if nuke key contains some salt, part
> of real key fingerprint (from LUKS header) and some magic string.

I think that is the best option.

> - I think that "nuke" keyslot should remain active.
> (not really sure about this)
>
> Opinions?

If we want to do this right, the nuke key must be gone after
nuking. If we allow to just have a nuke-keyslot, the key-slot
would need to stay active. But what would be the use of that?
Hence I think the nuke key itself needs to be nuked as well,
because while otherwise the owner could not be forced to give
up an "unlock"-key, they could still be forced to give up that
they know the nuke-key. Or, if, say, they do not input it themselves,
the attacker could verify that it was indeed a nuke key.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----