Re-align Payload for Existing dm-crypt/luks Container

Hi,

I just inherited a large array of disks (hw raid + luks + lvm) and was noticing some suboptimal performance. From what I can tell, it appears the original admin must have added some spindles to the array since luks is no longer properly aligned to the raid stripe. It's our largest array so, while a few hours of downtime are understandable, the weeks it would take to restore from tape would be impossible.

Is there a way to safely update the payload offset for an existing container without effectively destroying the container with a luksFormat? I considered backing up the headers, luksFormat'ing with a new payload alignment, and restoring the headers but I think that the payload offset is stored in the headers so a restoration wouldn't do me much good. Is there any other way to adjust this?

Warm regards,
Bax