Re: Can SED/FDE limit access to a particular user?

On 12.12.2013 11:13, helices wrote:
> Hi, Matthias!
>
> Yes, a bit of clarification.
>
> It is not a matter of not trusting root.
>
> Rather, the "read" and "write" processes are sub-processes of a more
> extensive process and will run as a non-privileged user - not root.
>
> Therefore, it is simpler - read, easier for the PCI-DSS auditor to
> comprehend its security - if only this non-privileged user can read and
> write on this filesystem.

That can be done with basic filesystem permissions.

- mount it
- chown user /mntpoint
- chmod 700 /mntpoint

After that only the user with that specific uid (and root) can access
the data below that mountpoint, nobody else.

> I see statements like this: "LUKS allows multiple user keys to decrypt a
> master key which is used for the bulk encryption of the partition" here:
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security_Guide/sect-Security_Guide-LUKS_Disk_Encryption.html
>
> This implies that a non-privileged user can have sole access to a LUKS
> filesystem. "Implicit" must be made explicit.

LUKS is not a fileystems.
It's a "bit-bucket" with a defined header that provides it's "payload"
as a transparently de-/encrypted block device. Ontop of which you can
put a filesystem.

After a LUKS device has been opened the resulting dm-crypt device is
like any other block-device, there is no more or less security than any
other block-device.

Same goes for the (technically optional) filesystem. You have all
(un)security that the used file filesystems provides, regardless of the
underlying block-device beeing encrypted or not.

IOW the filesystem doesn't "know" that it's underlying block-device is
encrypted and the underlying block-device couldn't care less about was
is put inside it, it's just a bit-bucket.

> FDE protects data if the disk is stolen.

Exactly.

> We want to protect the data on the live system as well.
>
> Does this make sense to you?

Some sense yes.

But "online" security is it's own research field with practically
endless complexity and compromise, unlike "offline" security which is
relativly simpel and simple to understand.

For "online" security you have to create a threat model that you want to
defend against and model your solution accordingly and see where you may
have to make compromises so the solution is still practical.

One of the first questions in "online" security: "Can you trust root" is
quite essential in what you can/can't/have to do.
If you trust root and "standard" permissions, the chown/chmod maybe all
you need.

You would need to be root to circumvent basic filesystem permissions, or
you would need the password/key and the device to mount it on another
computer where you could circumvent the filesystem permissions.

Matthias