Re: Re2: Cascading two plain dm-crypt volumes

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 09:56:43 CET, anderson jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 06:17:31 +0100 Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>

> > The gist is that breaking aes(k1, aes(k2, data))
> > takes only twice as long as breaking aes(k3, data),
> > i.e. adds one bit of entropy and is meanigless security-wise.
> >
> > If you have less than the maximum entropy in your keys,
> > then doing aes(k1+k2, data) doubles the entropy, i.e.
> > _squares_ the effort needed, up to 2^(number of key bits).
> >
> > So, really, do not do this.
>
> Thank you for the clarification and the supplied reference. I see now that my
> suggested method is flawed. I will use LUKS instead; I can then combine the
> two passphrases and make use of the key strengthening features instead of
> choosing less security with no header.
> However I am curious, would my suggestion work with two different ciphers? So
> twofish(k1, AES(k2, data)) or twofish(k1, Serpent(k2, data) both still plain?
> Or does the MITM attack still apply in these scenarios.

Yes, it does. But also note:
- This attack requires an extreme amount of memory
- This is a known-plaintext attack, i.e. the attacker needs
  to guess one cipher plaintext block correctly.
  (Easier done than it sounds, filesystems typically have
   blocks that qualify.)
- The attacker needs to be able to brute-force one layer
  of each cipher and store the full result of one of the
  two in a table.

So practicallity of this attack is low (read: infeasible in
practice for the forseeable future).

It just shows that an attacker that can crack one layer
of a cipher can crack two with about the same computing
effort and a lot of additional memory, i.e. that two cipher
layers give you a lot less _additional_ security than expected.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----