Re: dm-crypt + mdadm

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 17:29:57 CET, Adam Boyhan wrote:
> Doing allot of testing with dm-crypt and mdadm. Running into an issues
> which is killing me.  We run a standard CentOS6 load with kernel
> "2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64"
>
> Scenario #1: mdadm raid10 -> dm-crypt -> ext4
> Scenario #2: dm-crypt -> mdadm raid10 -> ext4
>
> Scenario #1 has no issues and runs reliably but takes a significant hit in
> performance due to the single threaded nature of kryptd.  I read quite a
> bit about people instead encrypting each block device then putting
> software encryption on that.  This all goes well until I start to
> benchmark.  The writing process of the benchmark goes well, as soon as I
> hit the read portion of the test, the machine panics and locks up.  I
> initially tested this idea with raid0 and I don't have this panic, it
> seems that only raid10 causes the panic.  At this point I am stumped as to
> what I can do.  I am feel this is more an issue with mdadm than dm-crypt
> but I figured it was worth getting others opinions.  I appreciate any or
> all help, if I am missing any details let me know and I will provide them.

I have Scenario #1 running for years with a 3-way RAID1 (notebook drives
give me about 1 firmware crash/year, hence the 3-way...)

I do not have a performance hit. Writing runs at a sustained speed
of ~75MB/s with 3 "kworker"s at about 15% CPU each or 1 kworker at 45%
(it varies between the two states). Reading is similar. CPU is a
Phenom II 945 4-core. That speed is about what the disks can handle
with ext3, non-encrypted gives about the same speed. (Not using ext4,
still too new for me.) Kernel is a self-compiled stock kernel.org
kernel 3.10.17.

I would suggest that 2.6.32 is at best called "historic" and entirely
unsuitable for any kind of performance-critical set-up. I also
strongly suspect (from some evaluation work on CentOS I did recently
for a customer) that Red-Hat has messed up updating their own
kernel and you may do better with a self-compiled 2.6.32.61.

The real benchmark would be with something like 3.10.20 or the like,
or maybe 3.12.1. (Careful: In my setup, 3.10.19 has a
networking issue, but 3.10.17 has been running stable for some
time, so I would recommend that one.)

My bottom line is that
a) I do not trust the CentOS "stable" kernel one bit.
b) 2.6.32 is so old, doing anything on it to improve
   performance is probably a waste of time. 2.6.32 is 4 years
   old by now and the 2.6.x line is 10 years old...

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----