Re: Integrate cryptsetup in bootloader

Hi Arno,

yes, you are absolutely right. If you can't trust your bootloader or
some verification, you can't trust the rest of the system.
Or in other words: if you don't have a starting point to trust, rest
cannot be trusted.

But attack vectors can be mitigated and the effort which is needed to
tamper so.'s system can be increased.

And in my opinion, crypto-stuff in GRUB is very straight forward.
It is much easier to insert some malicious code into a initrd located on
a unencrypted boot partition than inserting malicious code into the
bootloader with limited capabilities.

As it is not always possible to drag along your trusted-USB-bootstick,
this is a (yes, more insecure but) worth considering alternative.

I'll have a closer look at Milans link, never heard about the fact that
GRUB is already able to deal with luks partitions, but it sounds quite
interesting.

Regards,
  Ralf