Re: Encrypted partitions with sectors to zero?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:33:47AM +0200, Thomas Martin wrote:
> Hello Arno.
>
> > Encryption does not overwrite your data. If you want that
> > with LUKS or plain dm-crypt, ypu need to do the overwrite
> > yyourself. Some tools, like TrueCrypt, offer you to do
> > this optionally during installation.
> >
> > See also FAQ item 5.3.
>
> My bad, this is actually obvious (I always used shred when I was
> converting my old unsecured machines before encrypting them).
>

> > Yes. See FAQ item 5.3. If you do it for an already created
> > filesystem, you will not reach everything though, that is
> > why the overwrite should be done after crypto-mapping, but
> > before filesystem creation.
> >
> > Arno
>
> Good point, I was looking to avoid insecurities by disabling TRIM but
> I didn't understood that this insecurity was "by default" even
> wwithout TRIM (as I didn't filled the LUKS container).
>

> Thanks a lot Arno, this is a lot more understandable for me now.

You are welcome. SSDs are still a security risk with regard
to some features, namely erasing old data, changing
passphrases and securely erasing a LUKS container, see FAQ
Item 5.19. If you understand these issues and accept the associated
risks, encryption on SSDs is still a lot more secure than no
encryption.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx