Re: Weird cryptsetup-1.6.x problem

On 28.8.2013 23:48, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
Hi List,

After upgrading one of my systems I ran into the following rather strange
problem:

I use an initramfs which uses cryptsetup for the initial mapping, later
during boot more mappings are added.

After upgrading to a 1.6.x version of cryptsetup the system does boot
fine, with old initramfs (still holding old cryptsetup), but a new kernel
with updated cinitramfs won't boot. Unfortunately I don't have the exact
same kernel with both initramfses at hand, so the kernel was upgraded too.

cryptsetup fails and states command failed, code 22, which afaik means
invalid parameter. That could indicate that something from the kernel is
missing, but I checked back and AES, XTS, ripmed, dmcrypt target are all
in the kernel (even not modular, to ease startup).

If it is kernel, there must be error message in syslog (use some kernel
parameter to display log to console, depends on used init system).
It looks like that some module is missing in initramfs...

(Unfortunately all I get from kernel device-mapper if it fails is -EINVAL,
that's why userspace cannot sometimes display better info.
Anyway, running cryptsetup with --debug can provide more info as well.

Milan