Re: Cryptsetup FAQ montly pointer 8/13

Arno Wagner wrote:
> It does not work for encrypted swap. And it cannot work,
> as the UUID is stored in the partition itself. Just the same
> as an empty partition does not have an UUID...
>
> Arno

If you're on GPT then you have to option of PARTUUID and PARTLABEL,
which *are* present in such cases - that only works for raw partitions,
but may be something to think about.

I dodge the whole thing by putting my LVM PV on top of LUKS, and then having
my swap in an LV. I need persistent swap (and thus LUKS, not random key) for
hibernation anyway, and doing it as described brings the number of keys
needed down to 1.

If I *had* RAID, I'd go (bottom to top) RAID -> LUKS -> LVM -> Swap/FS.