Re: Tcrypt hidden volume

On 07/01/2013 06:25 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
I just saw that there is a way in TrueCrypt to protect
the hiden volume:
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/hidden-volume-protection

Not that this is really better, as it will leave filesystem
annomalies and possible error messages that indicate the
presence of a hidden volume. The TrueCrypt documentation
claims as they make both volumes read-only immediately
after a write that would have damaged the hidden volume,
they preserve plausible deniability. I seriously doubt
the validity of that. Looks more like their will
be truncated files and metadata that indicates a
setting to read-only. If, for example, the disk this is
on has no CRC or other errors in its SMART log, then
a device suddenly set read-only is not plausible.

Added a warning about this as well in the man-page.

Arno
Maybe this is a bit nit-picky, but as is I think the man entry goes too into too much detail as to why and doesn't make clear enough as to what is going to happen. IMO, it should just clearly state something to the effect of "There is no protection of hidden volumes. If you mount a TrueCrypt outer volume and write to it, expect data in the hidden volume to be lost." and maybe a brief blurb about how the secrecy of hidden volumes is questionable. The rest of the information can go into the FAQ or somewhere.

 - Justin