Re: passkey over network

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 12:56:40PM -0400, .. ink .. wrote:
> > That means this whole scheme is about as secure as a locally stored
> > passphrase, i.e. not secure at all. The only benefit a remotely
> > stored passphrase has, is that if you take down the remote server
> > _before_ the local machine is compromised and when the local volume
> > is _not_ decrypted, you can deny the unlock. If the local machine
> > is compromised while the remote server is running, or while the
> > encrypted volume is mounted, the attacker gets everything. If
> > the local machine is not compromised, you do not even need encryption
> > to be secure.
> >
> > With that, I have the impression that the security model of this
> > is fundamentally broken on a conceptual level.
> >

> if you have one static host that gets keys from one static server,then the
> passwordless ssh method seem obvious but its pointlessness will shortly be
> realized. To access the key from a different host machine,the private key
> must be sent to the different host and the server,through other means,must
> be informed of the new host and hence it seem pointless since the private
> key could instead be used as a passphrase to unlock the volume or to unlock
> a key protected keyfile.

Well, yes. As I said, just as secure as a locally stored passphrase,
i.e. not secure at all. ssh was just my first idea to get around
the shorcommings of the webserver-based approach. But then I realized
there is a far more fundamental problem.

> There is another reason why such a setup could be useful and that is
> convenience from centralization of keys.
>
> I dont manage my luks keys individually,i have them in kwallet and access
> them through it.I have a bunch of luks volumes and i dont need to remember
> their individual keys as all i need is the key to unlock kwallet.
>
> His use case could be the same,only he want to access a wallet that is not
> on a local machine,but on a remote one so that he could smoothly switch
> between devices he own and have access to his volumes keys through a single
> key.

Yes, but instead of a passphrase to unlock, he wants to use a
device-supplied UUID (that hence is stored on the device on plain
somewhere) and that is (as far as I can see at this time) basically
the same as storing the passphrase locally in the first place as
long as the remote server is available.

If he would give a passphrase manually each time he requests
a passphrase for a LUKS device, that would be something different.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----