Re: cryptsetup with native PKCS#11 support

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 04:56:23PM +0200, Krzysztof Rutecki wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Nice to see anybody involved. Under all of yours thoughts I have to say
> yes, yes, yes.  Root sys admin is the person we have to trust most.  But
> still...
>
> The idea behind it is to make using of crypto cards (HSM) easier and more
> natural.  We where thinking that token/card will be required only during
> disk initialization but still, we can clone master key of mounted disk.
> So no future security enhance can be added to LUKS?

No, because it does not fit the architecture and security model.
LUKS is software encryption and there you allways have to trust
root users, no way around that. What you want to do is something
conceptionally different.

And no, a crypto card is a security token, but not an HSM, unless
you let it do the encryption itself and it has keyboard and display
for passphrases. For most applications, cards will be far too slow,
even though some with keyboard and display exists. Cards can hold
keys with some (not very high) level of seurity, but that is
basically it.

A HSM is something far more massive. It includes phycial proection,
(sensors, battery, always-on monitoring, effective self-destruct,...),
secure RNGs, encryption engines, etc. Think of it as something that
uses 1-3 19" HEs and costs more than a new car.

Yes, I know that some people have started to call crypto-cards
"HSMs", but that is just marketing nonsense and dishonest.

> And last thing - we extend cryptsetup as it is more easy. We still have
> the same tool (under different name: cryptsetup-pkcs11) and yes, we study
> library as well (cryptsetup.c is an interface between cli and library).

Initially maybe. As soon as cryptsetup changes, likely not anymore.

Arno