an official way to know if the underlying device is gone for all supported volume formats

http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/source/detail?r=f64064fe71363a14ab0c62359e451f9cdc39dc50

The above commit log speaks of LUKS volumes,what about plain and cryptsetup volumes? The return code for LUKS is vague too since the log is not clear.

I remember asking a way to know if the underlying devise is gone but my request went unaswered,i therefore use the following hack in line 97 and 98 in the below source file to know.It would be nice if there was an official way for all three types.

http://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/source/browse/zuluCrypt-cli/bin/clear_dead_mappers.c