Re: LUKS credential management at an enterprise level

In principle, any tool that can reasonably interface to
a commandline interface can do this, see the FAQ and
the man-page.

On the other hand, password rotation is a dead-end, and makes the
problem worse, see e.g.

 http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/changing_passwo.html
 http://transvasive.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=46

The basic problem is that password rotation prevents the use
of good, harder to remember passwords, while at the same
time it does noting to increae security. Once somebody halfway
competent has broken in, they will put in their own backdoor anyways.
In the few instances I am subject to this stupid measure, I have taken
to just attach the number fo the month to the password.

The one enterprise feature that is important is a recovery
password. For LUKS, this could be enforced either by policy, or
by an adjusted set-up tool. For example, you could mandate that
keyslot 8 always needs to contain a company recovery password
or that a long, random password has to be put into keyslot 8
and then stored in a sealed envelope in a safe.

Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----