Re: filesystem conversion guidance needed

While it is possible to do something like this in-place,
any mistake can permanentely destroy all your data. So an
absolute requirement is a complete backup (see FAQ for tips for
secure backup).

Now, swap is usually not put on RAID, so you can just let
it be as it is.

For the others, encryption is usually placed on top of
RAID, so here is what you can do:

1. Make degraded RAID1 partitions on the new drive
   (put in "missing" for the missing partitions.
2. Copy the data over.
3. Reboot using the new RAID devices for boot/root
4. Sync the old partitions into the RAID devices.

Notes:
- You need to make the new partitions exactly (!) the
  same size as the old ones aor smaller. Or you
  need to repartition the old drive between steps
  3. and 4. accordingly
- I recomend using partition type 0xfb end kernel-level
  autodetection. For this to work, you have to use
  MD superblock version 0.90.

Gr"usse,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx