Re: cryptsetup 1.6.0 crash when attempting to open truecrypt volume if the key is large enough

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Milan Broz <gmazyland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/14/2013 12:44 PM, .. ink .. wrote:

> http://pastebin.com/FqxMUf8Z
>
> The above link has the source code of the program that show the crash.I have not tried that many key sizes but a key size of 5MB seem to crash cryptsetup

Yes, there was a stupid bug.
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/source/detail?r=e600024908219af09819d1a6549cad2b6813a8f0#

TCRYPT passphrase is in fact limited to maximal 64 characters,
so it fails now early if this limit is exceeded.

Thanks,
Milan

wouldnt it be better to just cut off the key at the 65th character instead of failing out?

I did a test here.and I created a truecrypt volume with a key of 70 characters and truecrypt created the volume and could open it but cryptsetup failed to open the volume.

truecrypt seem to handle a key with longer length and use only the length it needs and i think cryptsetup should do the same.It will be odd to users of cryptsetup when their passphrase works with truecrypt but fail with cryptsetup