Re: How to find out about mapped device name?

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM, David Li <w.david.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the info!

What if I was only given the raw dev name, .e.g, /dev/sdd? Is there an easy way to find out its mapped encrypted device name in /dev/mapper?

The easiest way is to use a mapper path that gives a direct relationship to the underlying device.For example,if you want to open a device at "/dev/sdc5",use a mapper path of something like "dev_sdc5.This way,if given a device of "/dev.sda6",you know the mapper path is "/dev/mapper"sda_6".

Most tools that open volumes have some sort of a consistency on what mapper paths they create and its based on the user ID and device path

If you dont know the relationship btw a device and its mapper,then the only thing you can do i can think of is to go through all entries in "/dev/mapper" and look for their underying devices and compare it with the device you are interested in.

I believe "LVM" volumes also add entries in "/dev/mapper" so the folder may have other entries apart from cryptsetup ones.