Re: Encrypting with larger packet size

I want to use hardware based crypto engine which would provide better encryption/decryption throughput when packet sizes are bigger. If we invoke hardware based crypto engine for every 512 bytes, there is so much time spent in setting up cipher context in that throughput becomes very less.

When I ran IOZONE benchmark on device with and without encryption, performance is upto 70% slower. This data is based on SW based crypto engine.

Thats why I was thinking if I can contribute to dm-crypt where it can accept larger packet sizes, it would be great for hardware based crypto engine solution.

HW based crypto engine outperforms the SW based when packet size reaches 8K.