Re: migrate luks key-slots to another luks container

Am 16.01.2013 22:08, schrieb Arno Wagner:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 09:51:36PM +0100, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth wrote:
Am 16.01.2013 21:14, schrieb Arno Wagner:
Any reason why you want to change the cipher? After all, you can
not enlarge the key and keep the keyslots.

As to size, just enlarge the partition. Offset, I don't know,
but if you do not need to keep any data, just changing the
repective fiels in the header should do it. But is there really
any reason to change the offset?

The motivation behind this is because I'd like to migrate the data
to another system using a different raid layout.
To ensure correct data alignment with the new stripe size, I need to
change the payload-offset using --align-payload.

Ah, that makes sense. However, do you actually need this
alignment? If yor filesystem has, say, 4kB blocks and your
stripe-size is a multiple of that, it will be aligned anyways.

Unfortunately this isn't easy to achieve if you are using raid5 or 6.
I am moving to a raid6 with 5 disks using 64k chunksize. 64k chunks multiplied by the number of data bearing disks (3) results in a stripe width of 192k (=384 blocks). Thus I guess I should use --align-payload=384. The current setting is different and even the default of 1MiB isn't a multiple of that value.

Anyway, is the migration of keyslots possible in my case?

Thanks,
--leo
--
e-mail   ::: Leo.Bergolth (at) wu.ac.at