Re: UUID question

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 04:10:50PM -0800, David Li wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if the dm-crypt partition UUID (shown in blkid -p <dev>) can
> be used to uniquely associate it with the set of keys the partition will
> need. Are there any cases that the UUID would change during the partition's
> lifetime?

The UUID is actually a filesystem attribute, not a partition
attribute. That said, for purpose of an UUID, LUKS is regarded as a
filesystem, which is IMO the correct way to view it, but not a
perfect one. So, yes, the UUID will change if you do a luksFormat
(aptly named if LUKS is regarded as a filesystem), but it will not
change otherwise. As a luksFormat invalidates all keys, that should
do for your purpose.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx