Re: Debian Boot

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:05:34PM +0000, St?phane Bailleul wrote:

> Hi  My PC just crashed, the hard drive were encrypted ( I don't exactly
> know the method) but it was during the debian squeeze 64 bits
> installation, one of the optionMy Hard drive with a separate / and Home
> /dev/sda1 was the //dev/sda5 was the home it seems that something went
> very bad on this computer, after turning it on nothing shows on the screen
> after the bios.Using the rescue option on my CD, I have been able to mount
> SDA1, I was trying to mount SDA5 but can notusing cryptsetup luksOpen is
> says that it is not a valid device there is no mapper in /sda1/dev Is
> there a way to mount sda5 and unencrypt the data ?I still have the
> password I hope there is a solution CheersStephane

Ok, lets start with the advice for this situation from
the FAQ: First, calm down.

Some questions:

1.What exactly did you do?

2. Did you install squeeze 64bit over some other installation
   you had before? What kind of other installation was that?

3. What was encrypted before and how? You seems to think sda5 was
   encrypted with LUKS, why do you think that? (What do you
   know about it that tells you it was encrypted?)

4. Was sda1 encrypted before and is it still, or does it now
   have a new, unencrypted squeeze 64bit installation on it?

4. Did you create/manipulate any partitions or file-systems?

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----