Re: contribution offer and questions - LUKS system encryption with detached header

Thanks for your reply, Arno.

The reason there are no such scripts in the cryptsetup package
is that it would not make sense to put them in there, as they
would be completely different for different distributions.

Perhaps we're using the word 'package' differently. If one executes "dpkg -L cryptsetup" on Debian, Ubuntu or Mint, one does see the associated init crypto scripts. I was saying I don't see them in the source code at http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup

I understand now that the scripts can be specific to the distribution. But I've also observed that they're identical or virtually so for Debian, Ubuntu & Mint for each release of cryptsetup. For example, the cryptroot scripts are exactly the same for deb-test-121015 & kubuntu 12.10. FWIW, they're both at cryptsetup 1.4.3.

One thing I still don't understand is where the scripts are for (say) cryptsetup 1.5.1. I haven't seen a distribution for that version. Does that mean they don't exist yet? I've seen that the scripts may need to be modified as functionality is added to cryptsetup, e.g. --allow-discards. So while my use of cryptsetup 1.4.1 with my modified 1.1.3 scripts worked for my purpose, that system I created doesn't support discards/TRIM requests even though the option is in cryptsetup. Accordingly, the scripts can also be specific to the cryptsetup version. That might suggest that someone is enhancing the scripts as features are added to cryptsetup.

Regarding Mint, I thought it is based on Debian via Ubuntu. It looks like I would use the "idea module" of the Mint web site. But is there an advantage to submitting to Mint, too, since as you say, it should eventually propagate down?

Jim