Re: Basic question about LUKS/cryptsetup

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:38:34AM -0500, Gonzalez-Garay, Manuel L wrote:
> Dear dm-crypt.
>
> Sorry of the previous email ,anyway I work in a university and the IT
> department is checking every laptop for disk level encryption, I am using
> fedora 17 with LUKS but they are asking me for a proof that the disk has
> been encrypted

Interesting. It is actually not possible to proof that, except
by giving the key and algorithm and demonstrating that it
decrypts to something meaningful.

But you could just give them a LUKS header dump. Maybe they
will panic and shut up.

> they want a copy of the key for Filevault and Bitlocker.  I

Tell them to stuff it? It is your laptop hence your
responsibility and they have no business asking for any keys.
Also tell them that there is more in the world than Windows
and Apple.

> am not sure if there are such files in my system or where to
> look for the files.  Can you point me to such files?.

There are not. You could give them a LUKS header dump, although
without your passphrase that is completely worthless. Not that
you need to tell them that.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx