Re: newbie qs on dm-crypt

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 02:14:09PM -0700, Anil wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
> You said,
> "Ciphers and modes are the job of the kernel, not dm-crypt."

> I am trying to understand if?proprietary software can be used with
> dm-crypt.

That depends.

> I read it is in GPL mode. Which version? GPL v2, v3, LGPL...?
>
> For example, there is some in-house proprietary developed code for
> AES-XTS.
>
> If I understood your reply correctly, then dm-crypt will call these
> functions loaded into the kernel and there will not be any problem as the
> GPL code (dm-crypt) will not be linked with the proprietary code.  Is that
> so??

No. Kernels are different. If you do not distribute, it does not
matter anyways. If you distribute, and want your stuff to stay
closed, you should probably talk to an IP lawyer.

I have to say though that there is pobably no point, as AES-XTS is
open and the kernel implementation is probably better than yours
anyways.

Arno