Re: SSDs & flash... and secure keyslot erase

Nice. I agree with most of what you say.

Some remarks. For magnetic media, reallocating so many sectors
are to contain a full keyslot is rather unlikely, should show
up in the SMART log and should only happen if the sectors are
actually defect in some way. That would protect the old data
in there due to the anti-forensic stripings all-or-nothing
mechanism.

Still, a malicious disk can keep you headers, no doubt.
It may even be able to attack your OS and send all your
data out over the internet. Malicious NIC firmware seems
to be already able to do that so why not disk firmware.
(Side note: Targetted attacks that can compromise hardware
before it is installed can basically not be fought at
this time. You have to trust the hardware. But other
types of targetted attacks are still often pathetically
easy, so hardware-based attacks may be mostly in the future.)

SSD and USB flash are fundamentally different here as no
need to keep geometry for performance and very serious need
for wear-leveling.

That is not to say LUKS key-slot changes are always insecure
on SSD/Flash, just that the design of the LUKS header makes
certain assumptions and they are good ones on HDD and not so
good ones on SSD/Flash.

Using "secure discard" for non-rotational is certainly a good
idea. If possible, add a way to test for the presence of
secure discard via cryptsetup. I also hope somebody finds the
time to de-solder some Flash chips from SSDs in the future
and check whether secure discard actually works. For the
moment this seems to be the best reference available:

 http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/users/swanson/papers/Fast2011SecErase.pdf

Does only talk about secure erase (not discard) and conventional
overwriting though. Key quote: "none of the existing hard
drive-oriented techniques for individual file sanitization are
effective on SSDs".

But still, while it is not optimal, we need to warn users
that at this time LUKS may be less secure on SSD/Flash than
on magnetic disk, but clearly specify how and what
attacks may become possible and which security properties
are unaffected. For most users LUKS on SSD/Flash should still
be fine.

I think this will need some time to get right, i.e. discussion
is good! ;-)

Arno

Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----