Re: Encrypt all partitions with dm-crypt

On 08/22/2012 08:40 AM, Stayvoid wrote:
>> you need to map and mount it manually.
>
> I've never tried this before. Could you be more specific?
>
> I understand how to use "mount." What I don't understand is how to
> enter the system when my home is encrypted. I guess that I won't be
> able to login. Is this correct?
>
> Could you also tell me what I should have in fstab?

This needs to be done by your distribution's init system. For /home, your
distribution should support some flavor of /etc/crypttab.

You use crypttab to map an encrypted block device to an unencrypted block
device. This will show up as /dev/mapper/<name>. You then use fstab to specify
the mount as normal. So if your encrypted device is /dev/sda4, crypttab will
have a mapping of /dev/sda4 to <name>. Then, fstab will have a mount of
/dev/mapper/<name> to /home.