Re: Secret data from stdin

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 05:44:01PM +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 08/15/2012 05:12 PM, Kent Yoder wrote:
>
> >   Yep, I am out of date here.  What do you think about a code change
> > that woudl print a big fat warning if non-ascii bytes are detected on
> > stdin?  Not changing the behavior (we don't want to break people who
> > might be already doing this), but just a warning.
>
> No please.
> Anything what prints any information about passphrase to screen, log etc.
> is not acceptable, it provides info which should not be seen anywhere.

I agree. And in addition what non-ascii is has become fuzzy with
Unicode. The non-ascii and even potential newlines may be just what
the user wanted to be in there.

> I know that \n handling is problematic, but there is huge amount of
> scripts using this redirection. We cannot simply change it.
> (At least not for current CLI commands.)

I think it works reasonably well at this time and there is
ample warning in the man-page. If somebody insists on
shooting themselves in the foot, they will always find a
way to do so.

Maybe we could think about a '--give-lots-of-paranoid-warnings'
option some time in the future.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx