Re: Cryptsetup and SSD

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 05:49:49PM +0200, antispam06@xxxxxxx wrote:
> How reliable can be the full disk encryption on a SSD, given the
> methods emplyed by the drive to prolounge the drive's life?
>
> Cheers

Reliabilility is not an issue. An issue is how reliable you can wipe
an encrypted partition. With dm-cryot: Same as ordinray data, i.e.
if you overwrite it it is gone, if it goes into the free-pool, it
is still there. Hence on an SSD, protecting the key is your only
protection.

With LUKS: Here the question becomes if the anti-forensic stripes
are depeted in key-change or on header-wipe. Basically, if just
one 512B sector for each used keyslot is zeroed, you should be
pretty secure. Keyslot size for default parameters is just
128k for XTS mode 256k. That may mean they end up completely
in an SSD block. And that in turn may mean they do not get
wiped at all, although SSD-blocks put into the "free" pool
should be zeroed very soon, otherwise there is no point to that
pool. SSD blocks can also go into the "defect" pool, but that
should be rather rare.

That said, if you want to be more secure, a ATA "secure erase
unit" command should erase everything, including free and defect
blocks, but YMMV as vendors may not implement that command
correctly.

Larger key-slots would also help, but cryptsetup does not
support setting them on luksFormat (yet) and you would have to
set them to large enough to be sure they do not end up in
the "free" or "defect" pool. For example, for a 240GB SSD,
you would need to use key-slots > 16GB in size. That may
be beyond what the libraries for cryptsetup can handle.
Just out os curiosity, I made a version of cryptsetup with
LUKS_STRIPES set to 400000 (i.e. 12MB keyslot size) and that
seems to work, including failure to open when I change a bit
towards the end. But I have no idea what the upper limit
on LUKS_STRIPES is.

Here is what I would recommend: If you can protect the password,
use plain dm-crypt, or LUKS without management features (i.e.
do not change the password). If you cannot protect the password,
do not use an SSD. Or use LUKS with the header detached and
stored in a raw partition on a conventional HDD (via the
--header option).

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx