Re: aes-xts-plain with aes_x86_64 makes my SSD 5x slower than my encrypted HD

On 07/24/2012 04:06 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 23.07.2012, Milan Broz wrote:
>
>> I do not like this dmcrypt mode a we tried to fix it. There is a bunch of patches
>> from Mikulas Patocka which switches parallelization to use all available
>> cpus (if not limited by paramater).
>> In my tests it improved performance in some cases but not in all situations
>> (there were some slow downs which scares me).
>> (You can see patches here http://people.redhat.com/mpatocka/patches/kernel/dm-crypt-paralelizace/)
>
> This is definitely the way to go, in the age of
> multicore-systems. Some of the patches are already included in
> linux-3.5, and the rest needs to be rebased on top of it. I'd like to
> try the whole series on a quadcore testing machine, but I'm not
> familiar with the code in most of the patches, and only one single
> wrong merge could lead to wrong conclusions.

You can use my working repo, it can be applied cleanly on top of 3.5
http://mbroz.fedorapeople.org/dm-crypt/parallel/

But I run just very simple test, there can be mistakes.

(There are still a lot of questions and maybe some ideas will not be implemented
this way, Anyway, if you can prove it helps in your config, let me know.)

Milan