Re: LUKS backup headers for recovery

On 07/19/2012 09:18 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:36:53AM -0700, Two Spirit wrote:
>> I'm a heavy believer in the backup mantra "2 is 1 and 1 is none", and start
>> to feel comfortable when I have 3. Luckily I had backups to handle my
>> recent data loss with LUKS, but I had to suffer a long restore time as the
>> capacities get larger.

While it is simple from that mantra point of view, it complicates many other
things. People are resizing devices, if you place 2nd copy near the end of device,
you create many new problems.
I saw these problems in LVM, GPT an fake-raid metadata. If you have two versions,
which is more recent? Is it still valid if you completely remove one copy?
(Very common confusion - GPT reappears from backup copy.)
And you need atomic counter or timestamp (new LUKS format) and locking.

In enterprise environment you will need to use something better anyway,
(admin need to be able to provide you recovery passphrase), so you end with
a Key Escrow system. (https://fedorahosted.org/volume_key/ is the project based
on libcryptsetup for example).

Without this, you can either store backup of header, or you can print key
on paper and store it somewhere safely (see luksDump --dump-master-key)
with the same effect.

>> Since these are usually long running
>> file servers, I've found lots of discussions about passphrase recovery
>> while the systems are still running and not luksClosed). I did google
>> around for LUKS recovery procedures, but there were lots of bad long
>> involved processes out there that didn't work or I couldn't get to work.

And you are running file server without backup? Do you have backup of /etc?
So adding one 4M file (LUKS header with keyslots) into regular backup is easy.

People are usually highly stressed by situation (data gone and no backup).
And usually they lose ability to recover data not by initial mistake/error,
but by some stupid recovery action without real understanding what caused
the problem.

(And btw there is script in LUKS source recovering LUKS header from running dmcrypt
device, it is mentioned in FAQ...

Ehm,... actually Arno forgot to update link, after git switch :)
It is here http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/source/browse/misc/luks-header-from-active

>> I now see the  luksHeaderBackup and luksHeaderRestore commands.(My excuse
>> is that I don't recall them when I first learned about cryptsetup many
>> years ago.)

Because I added them later, exactly to simplify all these recovery problems.
You can even open device using backup file (without rewriting header).

>> Yes, I have seen a seasoned sysadmin run #rm -rf * from root on a
>> production server, so I could forsee someone doing something to
>> mess up the LUKS headers.

There are two groups of people: one group run backups.
The second did not lost data yet :-)

Milan