Re: Passphrase stops working.

Thanks for responding . response inline below

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 02:34:58PM -0700, Two Spirit wrote:
> Hello, I just wanted to get back to you.

Thanks, always appreciated.

> After wasting a huge amount of
> time trying to restore my data and have it  lost  for a second and third
> time, I have reproduced the problem and can confirm that it does exist.
>
> I'm still [can't believe it] am doing testing and have some theories which
> I'm checking out to isolate more if the problem is LUKS or mdadm that is
> causing the
> corruption to LUKS. Testing with small test files does not reproduce the
> problem, however in full scale mode the
> problem exists and with 4TB drives, rebuild time takes quite a bit of time.
> The problem is that the
> first disk of a 4 disk mdadm raid drive looses its partition table (was
> originally msdos partition type 0xfd linux auto-raid created in ubuntu-8.04
> with mdadm metadata-0.9). This "corruption/bug/feature" is why LUKS no
> longer works. The raid5 has been grown with almost every iteration of new
> hard drive capacity without fail except when going from the 2TB to 4TB
> upgrade. The mdadm raid5 with the LUKS decrypted (cryptsetup luksOpen)
> works and does not recognize that there is any corruption, so as long as
> the HA server is up and running, the sysadmin has no clue there is a
> problem since "cryptsetup luksOpen" is only done rarely or on reboot. The
> disks 2,3, and 4 seem OK with my limited knowledge.
>
> I have since found out that metadata-0.9 only supports up to 2TB drives. I
> suspect that the problem is when growing a live raid past the 2TB boundary
> is when the corruption is seen. The raid is operating at 2TB drive capacity
>  (lowest common drive size) but has 4TB drives in the mix while in the
> process of growing the raid.

I would suspect there is a "wrap around" somwhere in the process
when the RAID gets a tomy bit larger than 2GB. That would write
right over the LUKS header. This should _not_ be happening (i.e.
is a bug), but would be plausible. This happens when sector numbers
are restricted to 2^22 by logical "and" with (2^22)-1.

I assume you meant 2TB not GB. and is plausible, but I'm a nobody so I can't fix it even if it did. someone from this community will hopefully follow with the right person.

Can you check whether the start of the other RAID drives is also
overwritten? The header itself is small enough to be only
on one disk, but the keyslot-area should get distribute on all of
them.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "start of the raid". Of the 4 disk raid5, the disks 2-3-4 seem OK, and the disk 1 is missing the msdos partition table which would then be missing the 0xfd linxu auto-raid partition which contains the 256 byte mdadm metadata v0.9 superblock.  This is all while the raid is running and LUKS is already open so there is no other indication of anything going wrong. As far as I know from the raid point of view, nothing seems to be wrong. I was able to rebuild the raid array. It was more of a fluke that I found this corruption because the only thing I really noticed is that I couldn't get my luks open. It was strange(not a bug, is a feature) that there was no errors reported by mdadm of the corrupt state of disk1. But I was running ubuntu-8.04 so they might not have had good error reporting back then.

> I am not focusing my testing right now on isolating the problem, but
> converting to mdadm metadata-1.2 to see if the problem goes away.

If it does, it would be a good idea to send a bug report to the
raid mailing list as well (no idea which one that is exactly
though).
Once I can find and get attached to the mailing list and get more understanding of the problem, I probably will, but ultimately I hope someone from this community will get this bug problem listed in some place useful.

> I ran
> across other os imposed file system maximum limitations (which evidently
> were arbitrarily imposed) so I'm upgrading to ubuntu-12.04 which removes
> these. So at best I can confirm that the problem won't exist with a new mix
> of mdadm/cryptsetup/gpt using parted (new sizes also past the fdisk/msdos
> partition maximums too) doesn't exist, but I suspect that other people who
> are just upgrading to higher capacities might run across the same problem I
> ran across.

Indeed.

> To address your first statement, I'm starting to think too it is not a LUKS
> generated problem, but the problem does corrupt LUKS.

Yes. Sounds like LUKS is only the detector here. Unfortunately,
encryption with metadata always makes things more fragile.

Still, please report any additional findings.

Gr"usse,
Arno