What does it mean “not a valid LUKS device”? Can I start over and not destroy the drive?

During an upgrade from Fedora 15 to 17, I installed into an existing LUKS encrypted partition. I'm sure I borked the boot loader options, because the new system boots to GRUB and there is no sign of grub.conf.

When I attempt to fix the problems from the boot cd and run cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3 cryptLVM, I get “not a valid LUKS device”.

Can I simply reformat Luks? What are my concerns right now if I don't need to save data?