Re: encryption of single files using cryptsetup ala gpg -c

I apologise in advance if I've misunderstood your question in any way. It
occurs to me that using hashes could be a good idea? You could either use a
hash of (at least part of) the file itself, or you could use a hash of the
passphrase?

you seem to have understood my problem and your suggestions will work.

With the current implementation, only the header gets decrypted and then the key is checked, if it is seen to be correct, then payload get decrypted.

With storing hash of the original file and compare them, i will first have to decrypt the load,get the hash of the decrypted load,decrypt the header, get the has from the header and then compare them, its doable.

Hashing the passphrase is a modification of my of original idea, its also doable
.
Thanks for the suggestion